Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Oct 2009 16:20:29 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Jetta swap: Check Engine Light Install Electrical Questions
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

re "No continuity is shown between new wire from > ECU and vehicle ground ign. on or off. "

if you actually mean what you have written there, you don't understand the circuit. The ecu SUPPLIES ground to the 'ground side' of the CEL.

Switching can take place in either the ground side, or power side of any DC circuit - this is an example of switching in the ground side. The LED for the CEL has power on one side. As long as polarity is observed, if the other side 'sees' ground........ the light will be turned on. The ecu is what SUPPLIES this ground signal.

at no time is there any connection between that ecu pin and chassis ground. One could say you are trying to make this too hard.

re Should I test continuity between new wire "harness ground"?

no no no no no . look at it this way. pretend there is a tiny switch ( there is, but it's solid state ) inside the ECU. the body of the ECU is grounded to the van's body. if anything , you'd check that the ecu's ground has continuity with the body of the van, which is sure has to have, or it couldn't work. So when that little switch 'closes' ........ it PROVIDES a ground path for the LED, turning it on. Cant' say it any simpler than that.

that wire........which in my opinion you should never check that it is conencted to ground, EXCEPT , by observing that it turns on an LED ( incandesent will work too, but it expects to see an LED ) only is ground, when the ECU switches it to ground inside the ECU.

if it supplies a ground, that turns on the LED, you're done. Like if you turn on the key, the LED is on, you fire up the engine ( with no codes present ) and it goes out, 'YD' - you're done.

or.........when codes are pressent to turn on the LED ..it should be one. But don't do anything with or to that wire other than connect it to an LED properly, with correct polarity.

please, pleasse please...... re but then why do I see > 12.xx volts with ign. off?

don't do that ! this is akin to asking ..........., well, can't think of a good enough example..............but by doing that .you are looking for the wrong thing at the wrong time in the wrong place with the wrong method.

we don't know what the engineers had in mind or what they did. All we can do is check that things work like we understand them to work. like test for what we know should be there, and 'don't make things up.' I don't think it says anywhere in any troubleshooting or Bently book to look for voltage on the ECU CEL pin with the key off. Then why do that ?????????????????????

mercury must be retrograde of something ! Yikes ! and I think Batt + power on the 'other side' of the LED is the real right way, not ign power. As I said, all soobies are that way. I can well imagine that it's not clear in Bentley for your year engine though.

smiles, Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "neil n" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, October 16, 2009 3:28 PM Subject: Jetta swap: Check Engine Light Install Electrical Questions