Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Oct 2009 16:45:29 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Devils in the Details
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

you don't have a plastic positive terminal cover on that positive post ? it's stock equipment. I use that, plus a thick piece of rubber on top of the battery, and dabs of silicone to hold things where they belong sometimes too.

quite dumb of them to put a metal battery ( or screws ) cover fractions of an inch from 600 amps of hot battery power. You can arc weld with that power, that's how much power is in a good starting battery.

If that ever shorts out ...... ( and example of german engineering that is only designed to work right when it IS right .....no margins for anything else ) and if you don't have a battery cut off switch ..... it's gonna be a lot of fun unscrewing red hot battery cover screws. ........hoping the are not fuse-welded into place. while you're hoping a fire doesn't start ..... or ...........if you've even seen this.........whole melted wiring harnesses.

at least you found it now, and not some much worse time later !

----- Original Message ----- From: "neil n" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, October 16, 2009 3:56 PM Subject: Devils in the Details