Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Oct 2009 16:25:06 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Jetta swap: Check Engine Light Install Electrical Questions
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@gmail.com>

At 01:56 PM 10/18/2009, neil n wrote: >Right. Makes sense. My knowledge of transistors is sketchy, but I do >recall that they are semi conductors. Upon Scotts direction, I figured >there was something like a diode in the path I was trying to check.

A transistor is basically a big diode with a little diode stuck sideways in the middle. The big diode is reverse-biased, i.e. wired into the circuit so that it blocks current flow. If you inject current into the little diode, the big one starts to leak and allow current to flow proportionally to the amount of current going through the little diode but bigger. To use it as a switch, you bias the little diode so the big one is either closed or full open.

If you hook it up backwards it will smoke. There are two kinds of regular transistors, NPN (most common) and PNP. They are mirror images. In NPN you bring the base (the little diode) positive compared to the emitter to allow positive current to flow from the collector to the emitter (the two ends of the big diode). With the PNP you bring the base negative with respect to the emitter, to allow negative current to flow from collector to emitter.

Of course there's a book or two that we haven't talked about. But that's the general idea.

Yrs, d