Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Oct 2009 18:39:36 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Gauge Behavior Changed
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

My gas gauge acts a lot like Steve's and it's a 90 model. Near the red and you better have a gas pump in your sights. When my gauge points to the half mark, I've got 5 gallons left; period!

YGGMV

DM&FS

At 08:13 AM 10/19/2009, Dave Mcneely wrote: >Don't know about your particular vanagon, but in general, the gas gauge >is only an indicator, not a precise measure, of the volume of fuel in >the tank. That the gauge needle did not indicate fuel content with 2 >gallons in the tank is no surprise, and that the needle indicated some >fuel content when empty would also be no surprise for many vehicles. I >would expect consistency, however. I have learned (the hard way) that >when the gauge on my camper indicates a quarter tank, the tank is right >at empty. If mine were inconsistent, however, I would expect an >electrical glitch. Dave Mc > > >On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 10:29 PM, Steve Williams wrote: > >>I ran my '84 Westy out of gas today, thank goodness within walking >>distance of a gas station. >> >>I knew the fuel was low, but the gauge was still well above the red >>band, and I've driven more miles on a tank. I was running errands >>and decided to complete just one more task before filling up. >> >>I put 16.1 gallons into the 16-gallon tank. The van got 19.0 mpg on >>this tank, so that's pretty normal. >> >>The question is: Why didn't the gauge dip into the red, as it always >>has before? >> >>A clue: The gauge didn't budge when I poured a 2-gallon gas can into >>the tank. >> >>When the engine died, I was sure it was because I had depleted the >>battery. I'm the guy that keeps posting to the list about the low >>voltage from my alternator. But that wasn't the problem this time.