Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:19:04 -0400
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: van raiding bears
Comments: To: B <oddstray@ODDSTRAY.COM>

Didn't see in the article that the investigators controlled for the frequency of various categories of vehicles in the park. Could it be that the most commonly used vehicles for car camping there are mini-vans? So far as I know, Yosemite bears are the only ones that have learned to raid cars for food, but in areas where the concentrations of food laden vehicles and bears are comparable, the behavior is apt to emerge. I've thought of it when I camped in bear country, but I have still cooked in the camper. Asked rangers about it, and have been reassured that, "Our bears have never raided vehicles, but we can't guarantee that they won't." Are larger vehicles like motor homes more secure than our campers? They certainly are cooked in at rv parks in bear country including Yosemite.

Dave Mc