Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Oct 2009 07:46:45 -0700
Subject:      Re: question on oil cooler for 1990 Vanagon
Comments: To: Mtbdavid2@AOL.COM

I guess the answer is "depends"

It's been a long time since I have driven a wasserboxer and really i have never paid attention to the oil temperatures.

One has to realize that the OE cooler isn't really a cooler, rather it is an oil temperature regulator.  The fact that coolant is used, it try to keep the oil at 95C or so which is the engine's coolant temperature.  This is useful as it brings the oil up to temperature faster which is a useful thing.

If I was going to add an oil cooler I would ensure that the adapter has an thermostat that opens only when the oil temperature is greater than circa 90C so that it will warm up as fast as the engine engineers wanted it to.  Really want you want to do is remove the extreme high temperatures obtained when you are really working the engine.

In most cases you want the oil to be at coolant temperature or slightly above so that condensation will come out of it.  Most modern synthetic oils will survive quite high temperatures.

David Marshall VW Adventure Driver and BMW Adventure Rider http://www.hasenwerk.ca

On Mon, October 19, 2009 22:42, David Cohen wrote: > Hi, > I was wondering if an external oil cooler, bigger than the stock one, > is > good for extending the life of a stock 2.1 motor in a 1990 Vanagon? > > Thanks, > David >