Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Oct 2009 08:34:43 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Gauge Behavior Changed
Comments: To: W Monk <billmonk@gmail.com>

My 84's gauge responds slowly, I've noticed. There must be some kind of a dampner in the system keeping the gauge from bouncing around or something. After cornering right or left, the gauge reading can vary as much as 1/3 tank, depending on how long ago the corner was, etc etc. So it happens that sometimes I look at the gauge and see 1/2 tank, then look again in a minute and see half way down the red..look again and see 1/4 tank...Overall, it's pretty accurate and consistent but I have to be aware of long sweeping corners or driving on a tilted road bed changes the reading. I much prefer using my odo to track my 'miles run on current tankfull' I get about 350-375 miles per tank but I fill when I have done 300 miles to keep from sucking up the dregs or being stranded. I use a figure of 75miles per mark on the gauge face...1 mark 'down' from full=75 miles run..Top of the red zone = 75 miles remaining till I must fuel up. Don Hanson