Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Oct 2009 01:28:06 -0400
From:         Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: question on oil cooler for 1990 Vanagon
Comments: To: Mtbdavid2@AOL.COM

Hey David,

When I had my engine rebuilt recently I installed both an external tranny cooler and oil cooler for the exact purpose of extending it's life as you with to do.

I bought the oil cooler from BusBoys. Its en EMPI unit I believe. Was very reasonably priced. Since the installation it runs a lot cooler. I am on the East Coast in upstate NY with trips to the city. Its running consistently below the light indicator, it only pops up above it or goes way up when I am in the city during the summer in stop and go traffic.

I did not want to spend the money for AN fittings and steel braided lines so I used what came in the kit and added a stainless steel stoneguard around all the rubber oil lines to and from the cooler. The stoneguard is basically a giant long coil of Stainless Steel that encases the rubber hose to prevent rocks from damaging the hose in any way. The coil ends are sharp so be sure you sand them down and place good thick rubber caps over them to prevent them from damaging the hose. Then use heat shrink tubing over them to keep them in place.

Where the lines meet the in the engine bay it has a thermostatically controlled valve that I believe opens at 180 degrees and is mounted after the stock oil cooler so it warms up to the proper temp before activating. The stock recommended oil filter bolts to the thermostatically controlled unit as it normally would mount to the standard cooler. The rubber hoses within the engine bay all have heat shielded sheaths that cover the stoneguard as well. This was done to prevent unwanted heat from the engine bay further heating the oil. These Sheaths protect up to 2000 degrees so these hoses should not get dry rot from consistent engine heat.

The van recently passed 1,000 miles on the new engine, has had 2 oil changes since I have run it. The oil after the first 500 miles was very clean, no nasty particles and its running great, very strong for an automatic. I recently had driven it for 3 hours at a time on the highway during temps in the 50s-60's on the highway and it stayed totally cool.

Currently since it's a new engine I am running Standard Dino Oil with no issues.

Hope that info helps.

Robert NY