Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Oct 2009 13:11:32 -0700
From:         phil zimmerman <philzimm1@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: question on oil cooler for 1990 Vanagon
Comments: cc: David Cohen <Mtbdavid2@aol.com>, Chris S <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM>

2009/10/20, David Cohen <Mtbdavid2@aol.com>: Hi, I was wondering if an external oil cooler, bigger than the stock one, is good for extending the life of a stock 2.1 motor in a 1990 Vanagon? > > Thanks, David >

From: Chris S <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM> ........snip......... I don't know if anyone tried fitting the larger Passat oil heat exchager. It's a lot like the WBX piece but a lot thicker. It certainly looks like it would work if you use the Passat threaded pipe that holds it in place. I've seen these heat exchangers for around $190. ------------------

David, Chris and others,

I installed one of those larger oil temp conditioners (found at the time on Euro Passat turbo'ed engines) onto my 2.1 WBX some 10 years ago. I purchased it from <www.Dieselgeek.com>. Have since located this part on the VW Parts network.... FWIW, this cooler is used on VR6, inline-4's Gas/TDI engines. Fits the 2.1 WBX with minimal modification and difficulty.

As Chris mentions, needs the longer threaded-pipe for installation. Also, the forward water-line Pipe (between the Cooler and the Thermostat-housing) will no longer fit the larger (thicker) Cooler. The rubber elbow is too short! I replaced the rubber hose-adapters and metal pipe with a single run of Si-Hose. The Pipe from the Cooler to the Water-pump has since rusted-out, replaced with a single Si-Hose. Eliminating 4 hose-joints, 4 hose adapters and two metal pipes from the Cooling System! Has worked Ok (no leaks) since installation.

Engine cools Ok but, I have no direct oil temperature data. Under heavy/hard engine use, the Water Temps (on stock gauge) stay significantly lower than before the installation of the larger cooler. The larger cooler/conditioner does not lower Oil operating temperatures directly but increases the cooling/conditioning Capacity to absorb/dissipate heat from the engine oil. Will this extend the life of a stock motor? Anything that will decrease spikes (highs & lows) in oil temperature ought to increase engine longevity... says conventional wisdom.....

I have also installed an Aeroquip (fluid to fluid) Transmission Cooler to the Auto-Trans and a new Radiator to this Van. Gone are the raising Temperature Gauge worries that long steep climbs on hot summer days used to plague, this long in the tooth 1987 Vanagon. FWIW, the second stock WBX engine has long passed the mileage that the original engine survived..... YMMV

Phil Z. '87 Westy Campbell River, BC