Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:50:18 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel to Gasoline Conversion?
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

I have one like what you are talking except mine (84 van) has a '92 Jetta/Rabbit I.8liter digifant II gas motor in it. It's gearing is just right with the 5sp diesel tranny and standard stock tires. With the 5sp, it's not a problem keeping up with traffic, uphill or down..Well, with a long steep mountain pass and a very stiff headwind I sometimes get down to 50mph, but only when fully loaded at over 5000' elevation. The inline 4 VW motor IS a high revving motor. I backshift from 5th to 4th at about 60-65mph if I encounter a long climb over about 5% and hold 65 in fourth gear at a pretty high rpm. I can get up to 75 in 4th before I start to wonder, but I prefer to keep it comfortable at 65 on the climbs.....Different than most Vanagons like to be driven... I know nothing about the CIS injection system but finding mechanic people who know the inline VW gas motor? Easy. Probably the most numerous motor in use, world wide. I even found available parts in the town of Trona, Ca..and a guy who had all the tools and knowledge to get me going after I limped in there using a tire chain rubber band as a water pump belt. Trona is a very small isolated desert town. With a diesel to gas vanagon conversion many of the systems remain unchanged and they are all VW. A jetta, a rabbit, WBX, fox, even Audi...they all share many parts in common. You won't have a lot of 'special' electrics, reversed coolant manifolds, false engine codes or wiring harness adaptations to deal with and neither will any VW shop who works on it.. There aren't a bazillion different versions of the inline four motor from VW..And there are plenty of inexpensive aftermarket parts and great knowledge base available. Cheap replacement motors, too. Around $300 for a good used long-block, last time I checked.. The conversion (gas from diesel) is pretty common. Pretty straight forward..Not a lot of special skills needed. I've got about 40k miles into mine, bought it already done a few years ago and I am still happy..Good gas mileage, too..23mpg over all for all those miles..High tankfull mpg was 26.9...low was 20.3..Not a hot rod motor, by any means, but more power than most WBX motors...and probably 3 times the HP of the 1.6 diesel. Hope that helps Don Hanson