Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Oct 2009 17:39:44 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rear Window Defroster Strips Pretty Much Fugeddaboutit?
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

At 05:12 PM 10/23/2009, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: >But in the fracas the copper bit pulled out of the rubber/window space so >I just sort of shoved it back in. I could not tell whether there was >anything fancier needed to achieve a connection between the copper bit and >the window stripe.

I'd be fairly astounded if that wasn't soldered to the common bus that runs down the side of the window. If you're clean, careful and quick I bet you can solder it back, maybe a little inboard of where it was before. Everything super clean, rosin flux, make sure you can (and do) tin the spots where the terminal is going first, likewise tin and remove excess solder from the terminal. Helper positions and holds terminal while you heat the ends and melt them onto existing solder. Can feed a little more in if it seems skimpy. I'd be inclined to shove a cut potato against the reverse side of the glass, use a soldering gun with enough power to very rapidly heat up the joint so that the glass doesn't get too hot.

If it breaks you prolly needed a new one anyway.

A safer method, maybe not as effective -- epoxy the terminal down, then use lavish amounts of the grid repair paint to flow around all sides and top of the attachment points. Several coats -- the paint repair in general is meant to carry only the current in one of the thin grid wires, not the whole thing. If it runs hot, more paint. Paint has to dry before being energized, I believe.