Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Oct 2009 17:44:50 -0700
From:         Andrew Martin <campahvan@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      New to me - 87 Westy Weekender

I purchased 87 Vanagon Westfalia "Weekender" yesterday. It's a burgundy (maroon) colored Westy Weekender (pop top, no kitchen) with just over 200K miles on it. I found it on Craig's List and it was FS on a VOA (Volunteers of America) used car lot in Everett WA. It had been donated to VOA by a person who lives in Everett but based upon the CarFax report (thanks Unc), it was purchased new in Issaquah WA and spent most of its life there and in neighboring Bellevue.

Did anyone on this list happen to see it advertised too?

Please don't feel too bad about missing it though. I saw it on CL at around 7:30 PM Wednesday night; it had been posted at 6:30. I immediately called and got VOA's voicemail. I e-mailed VOA and it bounced right back. When I got into bed (well after midnight because I had to run to SeaTac and back that evening) my globe-trotting girlfriend said "Are you going to look at that van you sent me the link to?" "I don't know". "You should at least go look because if you don't I'll have to listen to you whine about how you should have at least looked at it".

After tossing and turning all night (morning!), I got up at 5AM drove from my house on Bainbridge to the Kingston ferry and caught the 6:30 boat to Edmonds. I arrived at the VOA lot in Everett at 8AM and hung around the gate for an hour and half waiting for them to open at 9:30. I had the keys in my hand by 9:31 and made my inspection and decision in under 5 minutes. When the salesman approached me after he had finishing opening the lot for the day he was quite surprised when I simply said "I'll take it". We went to his office where he shared everything he knew about the van, which wasn't much. He said it smokes pretty badly after it's been running for a while, the skylight is cracked and I was told by two previous lookers that it needs an engine. I thanked him for telling me what he knew and we quickly settled on a fair price. Then I realized I'd left my check book at home. "No problem" he said smiling, "we don't accept checks." "VISA, MasterCard or Cash?" I'm still a bit bewildered that I could buy a Vanagon with a credit card but I owned the van before 10AM.

When I arrived back the lot this morning to pick up the van, the salesman told me he'd received 17 calls about the van yesterday and his voicemail box had filled up over night. I doubt they'll list another Westfalia for under $3K again.

A couple of things about this van were odd to me. It was advertised as a "GL" but it's not a GL. It has no tachometer, no rear wiper, no power steering, plain looking tan cloth seats with thin stripes, no "VanagonGL" badge on rear hatch and most of the informational/warning stickers are in German, not English. I've been fiddling with Vanagons for 20 years but I didn't know that VW sold 87's without PS or a tach, in fact, I didn't know you could buy a 87 that wasn't a GL. Let's not start any flame wars here, it just is what is.

My apologies to the guy with the pretty blue Vanagon with fancy wheels who showed up at the VOA car lot 15 minutes after I did; I didn't intend to be rude. I wanted to introduce myself and check out your rig but I was busy signing the paperwork and calling friends hoping to find one to assist with picking up my new-to-me van. Reply to this message and perhaps we can meet and talk Vanagon over a cold beverage or three.

Finally, I wanted to acknowledge the fact that we lost our beloved Boston Bob Donalds one year ago today. He may be gone but he'll NEVER be forgotten. Raise a glass, set out an extra chair at the campfire, or go start your BB engine and just listen to it purr for a while. RIP Bob.

Andrew

Bainbridge Island WA