Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Oct 2009 22:05:05 -0400
From:         Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Brakes still going to the floor
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> writes:

> Re-check your reservoir for fluid level and re-bleed. I'd guess you > let some air into the brake lines. Bleeding brakes takes some > meticulous attention to every second of the job, it is easy to 'slip' > during the process and any air in the lines is not acceptable.

I agree. I've never been able to get brakes properly bled using either the "helper pumps the pedal" method or MityVac at the caliper/cylinder bleed valves.

What works for me is a pressure bleeder. You can bleed without a helper and they have worked every time for me.

By the way if you are pumping the pedal to bleed brakes, put a block of wood under the pedal so it can't go to the floor. If you depress the master cylinder piston too far, the seals can go past the smooth part of the bore and get scraped up and stop sealing. I've ruined brand-new master cylinders this way.

Allan -- 1991 Vanagon GL