Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Oct 2009 13:57:14 -0500
From:         James Fritz <jlfritz@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Thanks and Bon Voyage!

Volks,

Just thought I'd let you know that we've sold our 66 Beetle and our 89 Westfalia camper in the last two weeks. The Westy just pulled out of the driveway with a new owner a couple hours ago.

It was almost like losing family (odd to think about) because my wife had the 66 Beetle as her first car when she was 16 years old. We drove it from California to Iowa when we were first dating back in 1981. We bought the van 10 years ago. It was something I'd lusted after for years and finally researched it and knew what I wanted. We took a big trip out west, went to Colorado, and did some smaller camping trips. Family health curtailed our camping and the Westy has mostly been in storage for the past 6 years.

We've had a fleet here lately. '06 Prius, '04 Ford Ranger, '89 Westy, '66 Beetle, and a '54 Beetle. My father-in-laaw totally restored the '54 Beetle to cherry. We've decided to keep it. We were paying too much for licenses, insurance, and repairs to keep storing them. Its almost harder on cars to store them than to drive them. It was the only logical thing to do but its funny how it tugged at the heart strings.

Now it all goes to pay for college tuition.................

I wanted to take the time to thank all of you on the list for the invaluable info that you provided to me over the years to help me keep Old Blue in tip top. I clued the new owner onto the list and I know you'll welcome her with open arms. I especially wanted to thank and acknowledge Budd Premack, Joel Walker, Max Wellhouse, Darrell Boehler, JordanVW, Malcom Stebbins as well as many others unnamed. While you might not have known who I was, as a "lurker" I gained incredible insight into these wonderful machines and the community that surrounds them.

While a new chapter begins, I'll look back at all the memories I have (Buses over the Rainbow), camping in the Tetons, etc. with deep fondness.

I bid you all Bon Voyage, may the wind be at your back, your roads all downhill, and that the Westy gods deliver heaping doses of good VW karma on you all.

Thanks!!!!

Jim in Iowa '89 Westy (former owner) '66 Beetle (former owner) '54 Beetle (owner for life)