Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Oct 2009 14:55:44 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Think I have sprung a leak in my powersteering lines! Need
              some guidance please.
Comments: To: Janne Ruohomäki <janne.ruohomaki@GMAIL.COM>

We have been making and selling these replacement power steering line kits for about four or five years now. We charge $225 for our kits but they are all hydraulic hose which I think is superior to copper in a couple of ways. One is that the hose is very flexible so you can actually leave the old rusted lines in place over the gas tank area and run the lines through the tunnel on the top of the gas tank if you wish (that is what I do). Just tie wrap them in place, hook them up on each end and you are done. Install is very quick and easy. You are replacing your lines with something that will never rust so you have to like that. The high pressure hose we use is 3000 psi burst pressure. Way more than your power steering system will ever see. So if you want to try to save a few dollar and roll your own by all means that is fine it is a free country. If you want something you can just put in and be done in a hour, I would recommend your kits. Our power steering hose kit part number is pshosekit on our site.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Janne Ruohomäki wrote: > On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@mac.com> wrote: > >> I need some guidance please. >> > > Now I don't know if I am going to be much of help but when something > brakes I am obsessed by the reasons which led to brakedown. > > ... > >> Got home and it was empty. So I look today to see if I can see >> anything. I had the lines replaced the fat & thin lines with copper >> ones in 2007 I believe. I am noticing some red fluid around some areas >> of the lines but I can't be sure where its really coming from. >> > > I have no personal experience in copper lines but have been thinking > about making ones. I dont think copper lines should corrode this fast. > Can You tell if there are any signs of corrosion in your lines ? And > do You drive in salty environment ? > > >> Where are the key areas to look for leaks? >> > > I am just about to remove my corresponding lines from -90 syncro 2.1 > wbx. Not sure if they are similar pipes at all, but mine are almost > completely corroded almost the whole way. It starts right after the > engine bay all the way to front. They didnt leak so far but I am > replacing them as I am removing almost everything anyways. > > For stress fractures or similar I would check the endpoints and > joints. Also places long runs of unsupporterd pipe could vibrate and > create such. I noticed that the original piping in my syncro was quite > rigidly connected to body with rubber bushings in supports. And there > were quite many of those supports, thats probably the reason why it > did not leak at all but the piping looked like it would leak > immediately almost everywhere. > > ... > >> Is this an easy job for one person to do in their backyard? >> How long should it take? >> If I brought the lines to a mechanic with a lift how long should it >> take to replace the lines and add the fluid? >> > > Deadlines deadlines.. What a terrible attitude and I am so bad in > giving time estimates ;) > > Now but seriously, of course it can be done in backyard. It can even > be done in the forest, if You need to. You need to keep the fluids > clean and dry though. And one reason why I am considering other > alternatives than solid stainless: I can get home without this > apparatus, the power steering. I actually like to drive cars without > it, especially 4wd. > > I would reserve almost whole day to this. I would at least, some could > probably do this quite fast. Including removal of the old ones. You > really don't want those lines left so that they will rub into > something or wiggle. > > Did I understand this correctly: You have non-flexible solid pipes > currently, the ones that are leaking and the ones described would be > made of more flexible stuff ? I would at least try to run those such > through some place in the underbody where they can just lay, instead > of hanging them. Its pretty long way from the engine to front of the > van. > >