Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:16:14 -0500
From:         Jon Kanas <kanas@QADAS.COM>
Subject:      Air Cooled to Water Cooled

Greetings Listers,

I've been following the thread regarding the development of the Wasserboxer (air to water discussions) with some interest, but note that the primary driver for this evolution seems to have been omitted from the conversation.

Yes: The Wasserboxer came from the air cooled engines, but the driver was not "make it water-cooled" by some deadline. The driver for the demise of air cooled engines was increasing government regulation of emissions which required greater control over engine operating temperatures. What is now the EU passed strict emissions laws (similar to those already in the US) and gave manufacturers several year notice in the mid 1970s. This deadline for tighter emissions (and safety) compliance, coupled with the obvious cost savings obtained from the re-use of proven engineering and manufacturing techniques, (including the re-use of existing molds and machining equipment at the factory) drove the migration from Bus to Vanagon. Put simply, evolution made good business sense.

The Vanagon was designed to use the existing air-cooled technologies and production facilities at Volkswagen, while also looking ahead to the necessity of having water cooling during the anticipated production life of the vehicle. We can say that the engineering is overly complex/,/ but it is /NOT/ fundamentally flawed - If it were, we would not be driving these things 300K Miles, 20+ years after the last ones rolled off of the assembly line, still compliant with stringent emission regulations.

Dave McNeely's observation is correct -- VW encountered an unanticipated issue with the heads, and this issue cost them a lot of money. The first Wasserboxer I purchased was a 1983. I bought it from a VW dealer (paid premium $$$) in early 1985 with a VW used vehicle warranty. VW got to redo the heads in less than 45 days, with 52K showing on the clock. By this time, VW already had an effective fix for the heads; I drove my '83 another 100K miles after VW did the heads, selling it only to purchase the Syncro I have now. My Syncro is coming up on 22yrs old, 125KMi and the heads have not been done. I have sufficient confidence in the future longevity that I am spending several thousand dollars to address what has deteriorated during it's lifetime.

As to the complexity of the cooling system - This allowed the engine temperature to be very closely controlled and provide excellent heat into the cabin. For those of us "old geezers", the biggest complaint customers had about the aircooled busses was that they were slow and didn't have heat. The wasserboxer gave the trusty VW bus good heat and considerably more power. VW addressed the two primary complaints of their customers -- That's good business.

We can speculate and complain about what we believe VW could have done better, but we have the advantage of nearly 30yrs of technological advances to work from.

*Best Regards, Jon B Kanas

*