Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:18:47 -0800
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Expansion Tank Hose Weeps: Fuel Tank Full
Comments: To: Edward Duntz <eduntz@hotmail.com>

On 10/26/09, Edward Duntz <eduntz@hotmail.com> wrote: > > It is my understanding that the expansion tanks are for expansion of gas > vapor, not liquid gasoline.

For sure. I can see that. Likely I misread something in the archives.

Actually, looking at Bentley again, it says that one should tilt the each valve 180*. Guess in the event a Vanagon ends up 180* they're meant contain the "expanded" fuel.

Heh heh.

> The top of the filler pipe is indeed higher than the tank, but the gasoline > shouldn't get right up to the top when filling. The gas pump should stop it > well before that, and also, on later models, there is a piece in the bottom > of the filler pipe where it goes in the tank to prevent this as well. It > looks like a ping-pong ball inside a small plastic cage. > > I know of a guy who has totally removed both of his expansion tanks and he > says he has experienced not ill effects. I'm not recommending it, because I > don't know enough about the system to know whether they're necessary, and it > apparently may depend on the ambient temp?

Well, I guess the bottom line for me is to find a way to sneak in and install a FI hose clamp on the hose at cross over pipe or drop the tank to do it.

Dang.

At least it's not actually leaking fuel. Just seeps. Still.....

And yah. A pinp pong ball thing would be nice. I have no idea why it's been overfilling the last few times.

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines