Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:14:49 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Change a VW Fan Belt In 5 Seconds?
Comments: To: Michael Sullivan <sandwichhead@gmail.com>

Not directly related, but it reminds me of a VW bus trip about 1971 where I broke an alternator belt and had a spare but no wrenches to get the pulley sheaves apart. Turns out a bicycle lock fits over that nut perfectly. The video was a clever stunt, but if your belt is loose enough to go back on this way, you have a problem right there. ESPECIALLY on an aircooled where so much of your cooling is from the fan that belt is driving. Not best practices, in my opinion.

Jim

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 6:17 PM, Michael Sullivan <sandwichhead@gmail.com> wrote: > I noticed it was loose beforehand and wondered if a new belt would pop right > on.  The process of adjusting tension on an air cooled beetle involves > removing/adding washers on the alternator.  Seems if this trick works it > would worth a try unless it actually doesn't.  BTW-Was getting the Van to > TDC by tugging a little in the v-belt a couple of weeks ago and got my > finger wrapped in the pulley for a few secs.  Kinda like zipping up a little > quick and you can't even vocalize for a second...sorry ladies.  Anyway, > guess you gotta be pretty quick with the screwdriver. > Michael in San Antonio > 91GL AT 'Gringo' > 73 Beetle > > > On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 5:10 PM, David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net> wrote: > >> At 05:28 PM 10/26/2009, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: >> >>> where this can be useful is not having to readjust the belt tension going >>> back together. >>> Scott >>> >> >> I think it's a cute trick, but I notice the belt wasn't at working >> tension beforehand.  And if it were, forcing the belt over the sheave >> that way is directly contrary to proper vee-belt handling -- the >> thing is specifically designed to not stretch, and it's liable to >> rupture internal strength members.  The generator mount and bearings >> might not be extra-happy either. >> >> Which says nothing at all about what would happen if it went wrong >> and the screwdriver took a fast turn around the generator sheave >> while you were holding it. >> >> So -- short of being stuck beside the road at midnight with a belt >> off and nothing but a screwdriver -- I give it five points for flash, >> minus four for danger and minus five for usefulness. >> >> Yrs, >> David >> >