Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Oct 2009 06:44:57 -0400
From:         Joseph Doré <josephpdore@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: oil pressure diagnosis.

>> (1) oil weight too thin- should be 20/50 not 10/40

My experience is very limited, having only owned my 1982 Air-Cooled Westy since September of this year, but the only two things I did to resolve my oil pressure warning light issues was to remove the FRAM oil filter and replace it with the correct OEM Mann filter and change the oil to a high quality 20W50. I would at least start with that - the two cheapest and easiest things to change - make them right and eliminate them from the equation. If the issue still isn't resolved, I would then check for faulty wiring at the oil pressure sender, next would be installing a new oil pressure sender.

From there I can't help. But I am a big fan of trying the simple, cheap things first and eliminating them from the picture.

Everyone recommends installing OP Gauge, OP Temp and CH Temp gauges. That's fine if you have the cash and the down time I guess.

Joe 1982 Westfalia/Vanagon L Stratford, ON