Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:44:04 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: fridge wiring question

Pshaw on noise filters for wires running sensitive devices.

Anything set up to run on the 12VDC in an automobile can certainly handle the noise and rubbish on the line caused by a refrigerator, inverters, windshield wiper motors, blowers, window openers, headlamps being powered on and off. Unless one is putting in medical equipment or something designed for 12VDC operation but NOT for automobiles or boats, one needn't worry about baking normal car stuff.

I've run all kind of gadgets in my van,* like a little DVD player, an amateur radio handy-talkie, the radio, laptop, iPod -- these things would be powered off the aux battery while the refrigerator is running.

Noise filters an unnecessary complication. IMHO.

============== * Yeah, yeah, I know not everyone camps like this, and truth be told I seldomly use these things myself. We will leave arguments about what constitutes "real" camping for the larger world where many folk camp out of the back of a station wagon, out of a backpack, while boating, and even with RVs. Try to get a consensus about what "real" camping is out of that group. I bet that to many people, camping in a Westy isn't "real camping" at all. The take-home point here is that the power in the van is plenty clean for everyday 12VDC appliances.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Westrailia: (Ladybug Trailer company, San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) Bend, OR KG6RCR