Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Oct 2009 19:06:25 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Axxess plastic key

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Steve Sandlin <vwcarlocks@hotmail.com>wrote:

> I've read with interest the posts concerning this. The #43 Axxess key is a > duplicate of the X9 key which is used on most water-cooled VW's. It is not > the same as the Vanagon uses, which is an X110 key. The grooves are > oppopsite.

Actually, take a look in your ilco book--- the center milling is essentially the same, it's just the blade sections of the X9 are offset instead of centered.

> If your door locks are extremely worn, it MIGHT go in, but I doubt it. > The Axxess brand is used by WalMart, Home Depot, and a few other big box > stores. I bought one of the blanks and it would not enter most of the > Vanagon handles I had in stock. >

A metal one definitely wouldn't go, but a flimsy plastic pass-all might. I've never seen an Axxess plastic key, but my boss had one from a different manufacturer for his BMW, and it was a thin, largely keyway-agnostic blank, with the center milling only vaguely represented. If the Axxess plastic keys are the same, it very well might go in. It's possible, given that Axxess #43 is the only VW key they have. Then again, it might not.

> A better solution....Get a real CORRECT key. Cut two slots in an old > credit card and slip the key through the slots >

The funniest solution I've seen is a coathanger, untwisted, stuck through the key head and then folded up into a springy bundle about 16 inches long and crammed into the hollow bumper. Not only does the key open your door, but the coathanger can open OTHER people's doors in a pinch!

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Lastwagen" '90 Vanagon GL - "Wiesel"