Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Oct 2009 06:08:01 -0700
From:         dylan <insyncro@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Muffler Source?
Comments: To: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

This is very true of ALL exhaust systems. Limit flexation and keep the strain off the mounting points. Heat cycling is what breaks them down. Any stress point will fail quickly under the drastic temp. changes. I have used S&S systems before. They would do a good job. I feel money is better spent on a stainless setup, but the money will need to be spent up front. I know that cost is a factor for most. Good points Ken. dylan ________________________________ From: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Fri, October 23, 2009 8:05:59 AM Subject: Re: Muffler Source? Ben, Like I said they are a good deal and if you install it correctly it can easily last as long as an Ansa or Bosal muffler.  I have been installing them for customers for over 11 years now and have had very good results here in the salt belt area.  The only problems I have had with them is with shops that do not install them properly and put a strain on the mounting system when they are installed.  You need to install it with everything loose and once you line it up then go back and tighten. There is an instruction sheet in the box that explains this.  However most shops ignore that, tighten as they go, pull the mounting tabs over to the mount once everything else is tight and then the tab will fail by ripping off of the muffler body.  It is bad install, not a bad part.  I have seen the same kind of premature failures on the OE mufflers where people install them and leave out the mounting brackets (they are expensive) and try to just put a rubber mount hooked from the body to the tail pipe.  They fail at the flange between the muffler and cat. Brand new Bosal failed here in less than 10k miles on one customer.  If they had mounted it right it would have lasted for years instead of months.  It is all in the details as you know Ben :-) Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com Benny boy wrote: > Oufff Ken, that is very cheap$$$$ > > Are they any goos long therm? > > Ben > >