Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Oct 2009 09:35:56 -0400
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: '90 Front Fiberglas Bumper - HELP!!!
Comments: To: VW Vanagon <t3vanagon@GMAIL.COM>

Any body shop should be able to repair the damage you showed, though it will involve putty because of the seemingly cracked metal. Otherwise, a new or good used panel replacement. I understand your concern for the welfare of the person who damaged your van. That said, I would not be inclined to accept less than capable body shop, excellently done repairs. The damage you showed includes a break in the paint and seemingly cracked metal, meaning the undercoating on the other side is likely cracked, too. So far as I am concerned, the reason I carry liability insurance is to make sure that I take care of my obligations should I cause damage to someone else's property, and heaven forbid, someone else's person. One claim is not likely to cause an insurance company to drop an otherwise claim free customer, but rates will likely go up. Of course, the age of the customer (under 25 for example, or elderly) and previous driving record also matter.

Of course, it's up to you, if you want to let the person off the hook, and accept poorer quality (and future problems for your van). Might make a difference to me if the van was in poor shape already (as yours might be if you had extensive repairs before). In other words, if I would be forcing the person to pay for repairs that really would not make a difference in the long run, I might be inclined to be lenient.

David McNeely