Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:08:07 -0400
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Friday content, heating chili

A while back, Mr. Squirrel mentioned using a plastic bag to heat chili to avoid mess, maybe in his camper, maybe not. I had meant to respond with the proper way to heat chili (or any other canned food that is wanted hot) to avoid having to clean a pot. However, it was not Friday, and I forgot. Today is Friday, and I remembered.

To heat canned chili, remove the label from the can. Put the can, unopened, no holes punched, in a pot and cover by at least an inch above it with water. Bring to a boil and allow to boil a few minutes, until the can is definitely heated through. Remove the can from the water, open it, and dump the chili into a dish. Eat.

The can will not develop pressure inside as some might fear, because the water boiling in the pot is the same temperature and pressure as the can. There might be a slight increase in pressure when the can is removed from the pot, if the contents are at boiling temperature, but not much. A cloth or paper over the top when the can is opened will keep any slight spray from splattering things in the vicinity.

This is quite safe. I have done it many times. I learned it from my father years ago on camping trips.

David McNeely