Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Oct 2009 06:50:13 -0400
From:         Jay Brown <badkarma@TTLC.NET>
Subject:      Vanagon Winter Survival Kit Question
Comments: To: dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET

I keep a few of the small "Mayday" mylar water pouches that are often included in disaster survival kits in both of my vans. They are available at many camping/survival stores and sometimes at marine supply stores. If you can't find them locally, be sure to find somewhere that offers free shipping when ordering online or the cost becomes even more ridiculous.

The water inside them is UV purified and carries a 5 year shelf life. The fill level and the flexibility of the packaging allows for expansion when freezing, I have never lost one due to repeated freeze/thaw cycles during NH winters. I also keep one in my first aid kits since it is easy to snip off a corner and get a nice stream for irrigating wounds or washing stuff out of eyes.

Jay Brown '85 Zetec Westfalia '87 Zetec Wolfsburg