Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:27:44 -0800
From:         Mark Tuovinen <aksyncronaut@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Nice thing about vanagon keys
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

Volkswagon has a different system than Honda uses. You lose a newer VW key and the dealer has to order it precut from their Parts Center. Honda dealers can cut keys onsite and depending upon the year and model the key itself is usually $20.00 - $50.00. For some early versions of the immobilizer keys a Honda dealers Parts dept. can make the key if you still have one to copy the signal from. Newer versions of the system or if you don't have a key to copy from it has to go through the Service Dept. and pay a labor charge. The very first systems had a "learning key" and as long as you had it you could have new keys made. Lose it and you had to purchase a complete new sytem, keys, control unit, etc. Some locksmiths can program Honda immobilizer keys also, not sure about VW but suspect not. The Honda system also has a work around so the vehicle can be driven without a programmed key but I do not know if VW's have the same ability. I am not a big fan of the system as there are other ways to protect your car from theft that wont leave you stranded. Here in Alaska we have a lot of communities that are not on the road system and if a person loses their keys in one of them they are screwed. You think towing fees are bad try flying your car out for repair at $5,000.00 each way! It would be cheaper to pay for the technician to fly in with the HDS to program new keys than ship the car out.

Mark in AK Assistant Parts Manager Continental Honda Continental Acura