Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Oct 2009 18:58:49 -0700
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tire Damage Question
Comments: To: Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>

Right!  Good, deep tire-tread squishes all the rain water out.  Or maybe grips a little in slippery dirt.  But, it's the sides of the tires (figuratively speaking)  that hold the car up.  Lot's of flexing and heating and "invisible" wear there.  Any compromises, like your current problem, or even "age" will take down an otherwise cosmetically perfect tire.  Catastrophically.

Don't cheap out with your life, or the other cars behind you or coming at you.

(I had a major rear tire blowout due to age on 14-inchers...made up my mind right there to get some good stout tires on 16" wheels; no more messing around.  No regrets.)

Rich 85 GL San Diego