Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Oct 2009 08:01:01 -0700
From:         phil zimmerman <philzimm1@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Tom Hanks and his syncro Westy on Letterman

Edward Duntz <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM> typed in part: Tom Hanks is talking on Letterman about his Syncro Westy.

Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM> typed in part: He got his van at Go Westy, beautifully done interior. All the cabinetry was redone and it has the usual Recaro's in it. Go Westy 2.3 or 2.4 motor.

"Peter T. Owsianowski" <pnoceanwesty@GMAIL.COM> Exclaimed! (Phryday) If Tom Hanks and Terri Hatcher ('76 Sage Green Westy) had children - would they like the Vanagon or the Bay better? ----------- Thanks Ed, Bob and Peter. I caught the hole (sic mine) interview on Letterman on the West Coast last night. Always interesting to get some back-channel or independent information separate from the interview (thanks Bob). Letterman and Hanks for the most part, bashed the "tricked-out" Syncro as: an old 70's Van with a big steering wheel, funky gas gauge, with Air Conditioning that didn't work while crossing Death Valley. Essentially, making the Syncro the joke of a Road Trip Hanks and his brother took last summer. Hanks was as always, pleasantly affable while describing this so called Road Trip. Letterman was his usual cynically funny self.....

Pretty cool... our beloved Vans and a prim`er Syncro variant getting TV exposure from a celebrity. Not so cool was the Van and its ancillary systems not working very well. Perhaps the Syncro's new owner (Hanks) was a newbie and not familiar with the Vanagon's quirks and idiosyncrasies. Difficult to take away from the Letterman piece that Hanks didn't like his Syncro? My take was: Hanks and his brother wanted a quintessential road-trip. A Route-66 affair but, in a VW Syncro.

Go Westy provided the hardware, "trick-out" as Hanks described his new ride! I read this as saying: sheezus, was that Van eeeeexppppensiiiive.... looked cool but worked like crap. Sounds like many of our own first road-trips in our new to us Vans as we worked the kinks out of our Rigs. Good to hear, even a Celebrity and a Go Westy prepared Syncro are no exception.

Now, to Peters question. If Hanks and Hatcher got together and hatched a Van, what would it be? Vana-Bay/BayVana is too cute.... A Tom-Terry Hatcherback.... too convoluted..... heck I donno it's Fryeday!

Phil Z. '87 Westie Campbell River, BC TV Critic