Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Nov 2009 08:52:54 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Winter Survival Kit Question NOW staying warm!
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 4:31 AM, Max Wellhouse wrote:

> I've been told that there is a species of tree called ironwood > which burns hot enough that wood stove flues are in danger.

Lots of light weight woods, well dried, are problematic in burning, as the fire flames up very hot and can contribute to a flue fire (the accumulation of creosote actually provides the fuel for the fire in the flue). The fire from these woods is very hot, but does not last long. Ironwood is a name applied to a variety of trees, some of which occur in N. America, some on other continents. One in the U.S. called that is more properly named hornbeam (_Carpinus carolinae_). Species in the related genus Ostrya_ (hop hornbeam) are also called ironwood. These two trees have extremely hard, dense wood with a very high heat content by volume, but are not good for firewood because they are extremely hard to split, and because they usually occur widely scattered in the forest.

In general, conifers provide softer, lighter, and less suitable wood for burning than other trees. However, in California, Douglas fir is a preferred firewood for home heating, and pinyon is the preferred firewood in much of the SW. Both are exceptionally heavy for conifers, though not particularly hard.

Thought the old fellow I met in Big Bend National Park with the wood stove in his van was well pleased by his setup, I don't think it would be a good idea to heat a VW camper with a wood stove.

David McNeely