Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Nov 2009 16:42:00 +0000
From:         "John C..." <JCarp2001@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: No Spark '90 2.1 UPDATE

Hi All,

Keep in mind, that with hydraulic lifters

you may or my not have any free play

at the rockers!

I always remove the spark plug

on cylinder #1 to find the compression stroke.

as you rotate the crank

just put your finger on the spark plug hole

and you will easily be able to

feel the compression building.

at that point align the timing marks

to where you want them.

There actually is a threaded whistle

that is made that screws into

cyl #1 to let you know when you're

on the compression stroke.

(haven't tried it myself)

best,

John C...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Zoltan" <thewestyman@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Monday, November 2, 2009 8:53:34 AM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain Subject: Re: No Spark '90 2.1 UPDATE

Jeff, The engine is working if four cycles.

You may have the marks correct visually, but they maybe off by one turn. Without writing down all the actions that happens at the time of #1 cylinder's fire in all the other cylinders, here is what you check;  When you have the marks, - The crank's mark in the middle and the rotor pointing to the mark on the distributor's rim about 4o'clock - check the valve positions on #1 cylinder by taking off the cover and see if there is play on both rockers.  If yes, that means you have both valves closed.  And you can also see that both springs are fully at their length.  That's when #1 is firing.

If not,- your setting is on  #3 cylinder instead.

If you have it set in the wrong turn of the crank, that would be #3 cylinder and it's getting fire in  #1.  And it won't start and it will backfire. Sometimes so strongly, that it will bend the connecting rod inside and thus causing binding of the pistons.  And if you set timing right after that correctly, that cylinder maybe going to have a lot of trouble with overheating, burnt in rings, etc.

This kind of thing happens when one had the distributor shaft out and it was installed in the wrong cycle.  Visually they are both the same though.  Only the valve positions can tell you where you are.  Because only the camshaft is working one turn for two turns of the crank.  (the rotor turns one turn for two turns of the crank too, but it can be set to either #1 or to #3 and you don't know where you are until you check the valves).  In fact, the distributor shaft can be put anywhere.  But only these two positions correspond with the marks.

All this above were unnecessary to write if you knew it already.  But it may serve well for those on this List who never knew it.

Zoltan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Lincoln" <magikvw@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, November 02, 2009 5:20 AM Subject: No Spark '90 2.1 UPDATE