Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Nov 2009 17:24:14 -0800
From:         Daryl of AA Transaxle <daryl@AATRANSAXLE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Peloquin torque biasing differential
Comments: To: John Anderson <wvukidsdoc@YAHOO.COM>

I have personal experience along with many customers reports about the TB Diffs..and by the way, Quaiife never finished the patent process, so never had a lock on them..Gary & everyone else took advantage of that small detail...Yes, you can overdrive and spin wheels or get stuck with the TBD style diffs..Yes there are some situations where they will just plain not work...The reality is that under most non rock crawling serious off road situations, they work slicker than snake snot to KEEP you going past the point where you normally would be a spinnin the rr tire and stucker than said snake snot... I have locking LSD's both front and rear in my own Syncro..Went to Mogfest and did the same Jeep trails as 19 other syncro's without locking up either end... Gone skiing wihtout coupling the front end and made it all the way to the ski area lot with just the 2wd LSD function..Never ever would happen without the LSD back there. Customers call and tell me how it drives like their front wheel drive Jetta with the LSD in the front diff... Put way over 75 or 80 of them in without any issues whatsoever..(to my knowledge) The automatic tranny version L.S.Diffs's were all bought by GW and some sold to German Trans for the time being. No different in basic operation that the manual trans version..A definite improvement over the open diff... Any other questions?? Daryl of AA Transaxle 425-788-4070 -----Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the Things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~ Mark Twain-----

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Anderson" <wvukidsdoc@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, November 02, 2009 9:32 AM Subject: Re: Peloquin torque biasing differential

Yeah, though Troy's point needs to be well taken about Quaife style (Peloquin being the biggest oldest ripoff of such) differentials. They are torque biasing, but you still need traction with both wheels. Not a lot, but some. If one wheel is in the air, it ain't a locker and you won't move; you will with a full locker, you might even with a strong clutch pack limited slip, but not with a Quaife. But for general purpose slick or high power low grip conditions, the one's I've had in FWD VWs have been very nice.

Now if the T2 market was only big enough to force price down like the FWD VW market was. (When Peloquin first started making them, the price war drove Quaife and Peloquin down about $500 from where Quaife had been prior to the war.)

Anyone running one in the front differential of a syncro BTW, I've wondered how handling would be, I assume it would fit in the carrier fine?

John