Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Nov 2009 21:36:54 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Peloquin torque biasing differential

I can chime in from personal experience with the LSDs. My racecar started out with what was for all purposes a computer controlled full locker rear end. I had a 928 Porsche GT that started as a street vehicle and morphed into full out racecar. With the original computer controlled PSD (Porsche Stability Drive, or some such) the car had marvelous traction but it handled for crap. When I would take the car onto a race track I would have to turn off the PSD because I could not get the car to turn reliably..With an Open Differential (PSD turned off) it cornered fine but had little acceleration from a corner, because the inside wheel would simply spin in the air.. The next try was a LSD differential put together by my race mechanic and that was excellent..Trouble free, good traction and very durable. Yes, I did get stuck once, when one wheel was up in the air (a very stiff chassis) going diagonal through a dip onto a race track...embarassing...I had to get a corner worker to come sit on the fender..no emergency brake by then.. A full locker would be great for when you did get stuck...but the limited slip diff is so much more drivable and you would never get stuck in the first place...well... Don Hanson