Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Nov 2009 07:15:11 -0500
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      It's Alive: 2.1 Overheat - engine swap - no spark - timing - Recap

Well, once again I wanted to thank everyone for their help, suggestions, and moral support through this ordeal.

To recap my '90 Carat had a major cooling system failure and before I caught what was going on had overheated to the point of painful death.

I found a good replacement local and with the help of a friend or two swapped the engine's out. It wasn't too terrible of a job but not the easiest thing I've done considering my current level of knowledge and the tools I had available.

I ran into a no spark issue after I had everything all hooked up. I believe this was a ground issue combined with some tired brittle wiring. I replaced the ground strap and a few connections that broke while I was double checking my work. Then I had spark.

Then I had a timing issue - turned out not to be as much of an issue as I thought. Embarrassing to admit but I will admit it so that the next noob can figure it out quicker. I had left the bolt, that tightens the distributor, loose - I did this so that I could easily adjust things once the motor started. Problem was the motor wouldn't start. The motor wouldn't start because I left that bolt too loose - so when I tried to start the darn thing the distributor would move around enough that it wouldn't fire up. I was able to figure this out with an extra set of hands and pair of eyes. It starts right up now - stills needs a bit of timing adjustment but runs rather smooth and sounds real good.

So I am finally back in business :) I've missed my bus - my daily driver at that - I have yet to check for leaks and such - and I have some wiring to clean up and secure but I think the major issue are behind me.

Thanks again for all your help :) There is balance int he universe once again!!!!!!!

-- Thanks,

Jeff '90 Carat (Grover) '86 (We call this one Parts) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus