Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Nov 2009 00:47:16 -0800
From:         Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      was The Otter Has (CRASH) Landed! Now ... there is much hope to
              be had
Comments: To: Pat Sloan <pmsloan@shaw.ca>

dear this old car

1. get a bentley manual *http://tinyurl.com/ykr9g56 < 200$ * 2. go to BowWow http://www.bowwow.com/ 3. Start now to learn how to repair these items yourself (refer to bentley )

1. Turn signals and 4-way flashers are blinking too quickly. Wiring issue. A few hours work. i would start by replacing the flasher unit (who ever heard of flashing too quickly????) new at bowwow for OEM part *http://tinyurl.com/yh7ftno <20$*

2. Left rear bumper missing corner. Allowing sharp edges to catch. Pick up a new one at BowWow *http://tinyurl.com/yg4q9gc about 50$$ or *any junk yard with Vanagons

3. Fuel lines leaking fuel. Siliconed and held by electrical tape Replace your self now *http://tinyurl.com/yz7wxqx 75$$ to 200$$ *

4. Fuel filter not secured Use zip ties or metal strap tie with holes and appropriate fastener

5. Multiple stretches of loose wiring. Must be resecured. zip ties ... zip ties ... zip ties ...

6. Front wheel bearings have too much end play. Must be replaced. I would give serious consideration to wheel bearing grease (my 69 required this every couple of months in Okanagon Valley ) or replace *http://tinyurl.com/yzl9h5d ft outer about 20$ $ ** http://tinyurl.com/yjylrno **ft inner about 20$ *

7. Sway bar bushings are cracked - all 4. *http://tinyurl.com/yzmoruq <10$ each *

8. Upper and lower ball joints all have split boots. front lower ball joint *http://tinyurl.com/yhyazlg < 30$ Upper **http://tinyurl.com/ygw78qq <35$*

total parts at Bowow under 600$$ + Bentley which will prove invaluable for m any years to come

likely vancafe or any other parts orientated list member can meet or beat these prices who knows .. they will chime in ...

Avoid dealer shops that are new vw dealers unless specifically known to be Vanagon friendly many mechanics there know less than R & R of parts and only new parts ... unless there is a vanagon owner working there (this is a wide sweeping generalization on my part but generally found to be true from experience) most mechanics or parts people or service writers in shops have no knowledge of these nearly antique vans )

do as much of this work your self as you can good luck yours

-- roger w From Proverbs: Under three things the earth trembles, under four it cannot bear up: a servant who becomes king ... ---------------------------------------------------------- Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ View the growing list of video work at: http://revver.com/find/video/?query=LastonLastof&search_on=owners and ... older work at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7135104650374818257 http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3259745150182742364