Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Nov 2009 12:46:22 +0100
From:         Aristotle Sagan <killer.jupiter@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: The Otter Has (CRASH) Landed!

Seriously sounds like what you get when you buy a Vanagon. Shaking out the cobwebs is the first thing you do. You then get pissed at how crappy this vehicle is, then after awhile you realize all the problems got fixed and the damn thing will run forever, almost.

tim in san jose

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 7:00 AM, Tobin Copley <tcopley@sfu.ca> wrote: > There are a couple places I suggest in Vancouver. If you're on the > North Shore, try John at Van Wonder: > Van Wonder Auto Service Inc > 119 3rd St W, North Vancouver, BC > (604) 985-7211 > > > > The other big place is Rudy and Peter Motors: > Rudy & Peter Motors Ltd > 225 E 2nd Ave, Vancouver, BC > (604) 879-0491 > > > Most of the stuff sounds very minor, as in easy to fix. But not things > to be ignored. The fuel line stuff in particular sounds super-dodgy! > > T. > > On 2009-11-03, at 8:37 PM, Pat Sloan <pmsloan@SHAW.CA> wrote: > >> Well Curses!!! We have these words for a reason, no? >> >> >> >> Yesterday, I picked up my beautiful 1982 Volkswagen. I had paid for >> it on >> Oct. 21 and turned it over to a highly recommended garage in >> Puyallup for a >> full inspection and repair of whatever needed fixing while I went >> with a >> friend to Wenatchee area for 10 days. They replaced the muffler and >> catalytic converter and a few light bulbs and pronounced her ready >> to roll. >> Took all day yesterday to drive it up to Vancouver and go through >> exporting >> it from the US and into CAN. I named her 'Otter' and was looking >> forward to >> eventual camping fun and maybe a Vanagon get-together. >> >> >> >> Today I went for the final step - Prov. of BC inspection prior to >> registering and insuring her. To my great surprise, she failed >> (!!!!) and >> (Gulp). Here's what needs fixing: >> >> 1.      Turn signals and 4-way flashers are blinking too quickly. >> Wiring >> issue. A few hours work. >> 2.      Left rear bumper missing corner. Allowing sharp edges to >> catch. >> 3.      Fuel lines leaking fuel. Siliconed and held by electrical tape >> 4.      Fuel filter not secured >> 5.      Multiple stretches of loose wiring. Must be resecured. >> 6.      Front wheel bearings have too much end play. Must be replaced. >> 7.      Sway bar bushings are cracked - all 4. >> 8.      Upper and lower ball joints all have split boots. >> >> I wasn't at a VW garage since, of course, this inspection was only >> going to >> be a formality. They estimated that the repairs needed would cost >> about >> $3000. They referred me to Justin at Capilano VW for a more informed >> opinion. I scanned the insp. report and sent it to him. Will >> hopefully find >> out tomorrow, but not in love with the idea of paying dealer prices >> for >> service. >> >> >> >> So, I thought I would send this info to the Vanagon list for your >> informed >> opinions. >> >> >> >> I feel sick. Can't afford to put thousands more into this vehicle. >> It's my >> own stupid fault for sure, but I had expected to hear this kind of >> thing >> from the Puyallup garage before I ever left the US. Now the van has >> turned >> into a pumpkin. No longer registered in WA or BC. Must be taken off >> the >> streets or it will be impounded. (Gotta find a spot!) Meanwhile >> trying to >> get enough facts to decide what to do. >> >> >> >> Also, must try to find out if I have any recourse from the seller or >> from >> Ebay. I know that used car sales are always asis, whereis, but this is >> selling an unsafe vehicle, which I think may be different. To think >> that I >> drove that sucker from Puyallup to Vancouver with leaky fuel lines, >> bad >> wheel bearings, cracked sway bar bushings and split ball joints. >> >> >> >> Any and all thoughts, ideas, interesting curses, etc would be welcome. >> >> Thank you and Grrrr, >> >> Pat >

-- Where ever you are, there you be. Unless you're driving my van, in which case, you ain't got there yet.