Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:32:40 -0500
From:         Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gen Set
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

My pet peeve is the people who think it's OK to crank up their car stereo on steroids so it's nice and loud for them at their campfire while the car is 30 feet away --- thus allowing everyone on the surrounding 50 campsites to hear their music. I don't understand how they can not think they might be offending people around them. I am not shy about asking these folks to turn down their music and I do it very politely. 2/3's will comply willingly -- about 1/3 are astonished that I have a problem with it. Those people get a visit from the local park ranger, who (amazingly enough) always seems to agree with me.

My wife, daughter and I swear that we are followed around by the Loud family -- Mr and Mrs Loud and their family and friends. They often camp within a couple of campsites of us and can conduct no conversation without shouting and then laughing hilariously. There is often alcohol involved -- usually a great deal of it. The F word in its various conjugations seems to roll off the alcohol-loosened tongues with great frequency and with the amp turned up to 11. These people are harder to deal with because they are "just sitting around and talking". I will normally ignore and write it off too bad luck. A few times when the obscenity level got too high, I have visited the campsite and said "I know you people are having a good time and you're loud and that's OK but do you have to say F* every 3 F*ing seconds??!!!" Oddly enough this seems to work -- but I'd really rather not have to do it at all.

There are fewer and fewer really isolated and quiet places to camp -- and they tend to be a long long drive for me here in Mississauga, Ontario.

Guess I'll continue being the grumpy old man who doesn't want anyone to have fun..........

Cheers, Doug

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > Well, there is noise, then there is noise.  I am not bothered by people > in a campground making the natural noises of people playing, kids > running about, even someone with musical instruments and dancing, as > happens in some of the places I visit.  I am bothered by generators and > loud stereos.  I suspect the critters are bothered by those things when > there are no other people around, too.  I actually feel like the "quiet > hours" rules in most public park campgrounds are too lenient.  I noticed > that Big Bend National Park and some other national parks now have > "quiet loops" where no generators or amplified sounds are allowed at any > hour.  Good idea?  What do you think? > > David McNeely > > > On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Rowan Tipton wrote: > >> i also hate noisy generators.  that said, i have a generator mounted >> in a small trailer with sound proofing that can not be heard from 15 >> feet... based on db meter readings, personal observation and asking a >> lot of people.  i don't use it if i'm camped near anyone.  in fact i >> usually use it when i'm far into the outback with no one within miles. >> >> and in campgrounds i'm bothered by cars driving by, by kids yelling >> early in the morning, by flicking light from campfires when i'm trying >> to sleep, by bright lanterns, by dogs barking, by loud voices, by >> other peoples music, etc.  people are noisy and i fail to see why a >> generator that makes no more noise than other things is less >> considerate.  it's all the noise of people camping and having fun and >> i enjoy being bothered!  and when i don't want to here anyone else i >> go where there are no others. >> >> r >> >> On Nov 4, 2009, at 9:57 AM, Don Hanson wrote: >> >>> I, too, think that generators are really bad when camping.  Why >>> someone >>> would assume that other people within earshot of their generator >>> noise are >>> not being constantly bothered by that irritating noise has always >>> puzzled >>> me.  Running a generator in a quiet public environment is very >>> selfish.  They make noise. Just for YOU.   They aren't really >>> necessary. >>> If decide you simply must have electrical devices in use,  quiet >>> power is >>> fair to other's who happen to have you camped near them.  Nobody >>> should be >>> forced to listen to generator noise when their neighbors decide to >>> Zap some >>> popcorn and watch TV or whatever . >>>  There are plenty of  more considerate ways to provide yourself with >>> electrical power if you simply must have it.  Generators really >>> belong in >>> environments where their noise is going to be drowned out..Job >>> sites, Race >>> tracks, Football stadium parking lots, Off Road vehicle parks, >>> etc.    Even >>> the quietest tiny little gen-set.. Noisy and very similar to a sonic >>> toothache...nagging, like a drippy faucet... >>>  Go solar, wind, battery, please! >>>  Don Hanson >> >> I remain, as always >> YrLyl&ObdntSrvnt, >> >> r >

-- http://www.dougalcock.com