Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Nov 2009 10:05:44 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gen Set

That is one of the advantages of a Vanagon camper...you can get places where other's might be unwilling to try to follow...to a point..Another advantage is that it's easy to move again, on short notice, if some jerks decide that 'your' spot, no matter how remote, is "The Spot' and they have to be right next to you..

There are a surprisingly large number of people who are pretty clue-less. Who've never been outside the city or off the pavement. A couple of feet away from others is 'all alone' to these folks. There's also a lot of the herd-mentality amongst the RV set..They like to 'cozy-up'.. We have purposely parked in 'sketchy access' campsites and been disturbed by other vehicles coming up later, trying to get up close but getting stuck instead. Or camped miles down a dirt track with many other more easily accessed sites far away only to have someone choose to come park quite nearby. I came back to our desert campsite one time to find a smaller class C motor home actually leaning on my Vanagon...stuck down to his axles in sand, with hundreds of square miles of identical desert terrain unoccupied all around. He told me.."No problem, I called a tow truck and he will come winch us out in the morning"....When I asked if he didn't think that might be a bit of an intrusion, him cooking dinner and watching TV while in actual physical contact with my Vanagon..when I inquired why he'd chosen to come driving *right* by, trying to cross THAT particular couple of feet of desert with all that emptyness all around, he got all offended...Clue-less! Don Hanson On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Jeffrey Vickers <jeff@vickersdesign.com>wrote: