Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:17:19 -0800
From:         Mister Tom <TomsGroups@SALICOS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gen Set

> -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Malcolm Stebbins > Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 10:53 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Gen Set > > I also ask for non-smoking sites/loops, and no children sites/loops, and > no radio etc sites/loops. I usually get a blank stare back, but at least > the rock is nudged! > > Now with cell phones, I also ask for the number to call re LOUD campers. > It's a sad commentary when stealth camping is often quieter than a > nat'l/state park! m2cw Malcolm > > ________________________________ > > hi david, > > On Nov 4, 2009, at 10:40 AM, mcneely4@COX.NET wrote: > > > I actually > > feel like the "quiet hours" rules in most public park campgrounds > > are too lenient. I noticed that Big Bend National Park and some > > other national parks now have "quiet loops" where no generators or > > amplified sounds are allowed at any hour. Good idea? What do you > > think?

I'd love to have the option of quiet areas, in addition to the farcical "quiet hours". I find van camping among the tent sites is usually quieter if it's allowed.

I think we have a problem because the giant RVs and obnoxious campers PAY MONEY to camp and if the campground owners/managers make them behave they might not come back. Barking dogs and screaming kids are just part of the campground culture now.

I think it's the minority who wants/expects peace and quiet. Everybody else has learned to just do his own thing and it's pretty much tough shinola for you if you don't like it. That's their concept of "freedom", you see.

Had a neighboring camper start shooting off fireworks at 1:00 A.M. When confronted he said, "Hey, I paid my $6.00, I can do whatever I want".

And when was the last time you heard the expression, "campground voice"?

Tom Salicos