Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Nov 2009 12:07:27 -0800
From:         Doug Noganav <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: flywheel bolts
Comments: To: John Anderson <wvukidsdoc@YAHOO.COM>

John,

Is Rick talking about the bolts on the torque converter flange or manual shift flywheel bolts into the crank?

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Anderson" <wvukidsdoc@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 10:31 AM Subject: Re: flywheel bolts

Rick they are grade 12.9 I believe (though could be higher even), and flat (not serrated) flanged, should be available at a good specialty fastener place. McMaster-Carr would be worth a first look, as would your local Fastenall possibly, though they likely wouldn't stock them, they can often order, and will do small lots in their stock order. Or if you need one or two, I have a few lying in my spare parts bits. However, they don't need replaced, ever as far as I'm concerned, a little red locktite and they can be used forever, they are almost impossible to destroy as they are harder/higher grade than the flywheel so will destroy it's threads before they succumb. Best way to remove BTW is an appropriate sized deep 3/8 drive socket through the access hole, wedges solidly against the L side of the hole for removal, R side for tightening, with a 3/8 breaker bar (if previusly lock-tited) or adapter and 1/2 ratchet. Torque to spec on replacement. Be VERY careful that on assembly your pump and turbine shafts looks EXACTLY like the picture in every Bentley, before putting on the converter, and that the converter spins freely behind the drive plate on putting it all back together as the case bolts to the tranny. There should be no effort bringing them together, then you simply spin the converter to alighn with the first drive plate hole (which should already be positioned from removal if you didn't turn the engine), put in a bolt, rotate the engine for all 3, etc.

John