Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Nov 2009 13:34:04 -0800
From:         Marc Sayer <marcsayer@HUGHES.NET>
Subject:      Re: BC inspection was Re: The Otter Has

This is exactly my take on this shop's list of problems. It was as if they had a target bill and were going to find enough things wrong to meet that bill, no matter how idiotic and picky the problems were. As Ben said, no way the fuel lines in a Vanagon are held together with tape and silicone, the fuel pressure is wayyyyy to high. This tells me these guys are either dishonest or they don't know the first thing about FI cars (I'm leaning to the former). So many of the things they list are so picky and petty it is ridiculous. Like saying the wheel bearing are loose so they need to be replaced?? Isn't that what adjustments are for? Sway bar bushings are cracked? All the way through or just surface cracks? Surface cracks are not unusual in any rubber bushing. A crack all the way through is very rare in any rubber bushing of any sort, because the bushing will generally fall out if it is that bad. Most often the failure mode is extrusion or going soft because of exposure to solvents. If the sway bar isn't banging and slapping around, the bushings are essentially doing their job so who cares what they look like? And if they will need replacement sometime in the future, why fail them now? I'd want to tie up the wires and the fuel filter, replace the bumper end cap (a picky thing but easy to fix), and replace the ball joint boots. The ball joints shouldn't need replacing unless they are worn or damaged during servicing. OTOH if you can afford it, replace them just cause you'll be in there anyway. I'd inspect the fuel lines and injectors for leaks or seepage, but unless I see leakage, I would not worry about this (find a realistic shop, perhaps the one Paul is suggesting). if the turn signals are all working, who cares how fast they are (no way there is a regulation that specs flasher speed). Most likely a bulb is burnt. You can try replacing the flasher itself if you care, but really? Flashing too fast?? That is just desperate.

Of course I could be wrong...

Paul Guzyk wrote: > Jake, I think you are mistaken. All out of province vehicles must have a BC "safety inspection" prior to being registered by ICBC. vehicles less than 15 years old also require a very simple (DRL, KM speedo, and baby anchors) Federal Inspection at Crappy Tire. > > The big problem is MOST BC INSPECTION PLACES ARE REPAIR SHOPS TOO. This is a big conflict of interest....they want to find problems so they can offer to fix them....and they know you want to make the car BC legal so they may take advantage of your situation. (unlike Aircare which is a test only facility.) > > However, once an out of province car is inspected in BC, it NEVER has to be inspected again...many cars already on BC roads are in worst condition than 20 year Vanagons imported into BC from other places. > > If they want to level the field, they should have annual inspections for all cars...anyway, that's another debate. > > When you take your out of BC Vanagon in for a BC inspection, make it clear to the shop you want inspection only, you will do any required repairs elsewhere (yourself, regular mechanic, whatever). They will be less likely to find 97 things wrong. > > Also, find an inspection shop less picky about the little stuff. > > I know one that is quite Vanagon friendly just outside of Vancouver, pmail me for shop details if interested. > > -Paul >

--

Marc Sayer Journalist, Photographer, Dog Trainer (APDT member #062956) Board member - Western States Great Dane Rescue Association Director of Operations & Training - Deaf Dane Rescue Inc. Oakridge, OR USA

My Homepage - http://gracieland.org Deaf Dane Rescue - http://deafdane.org Western States Great Dane Rescue Association - http://wsgdra.org RescueWatchdogs - http://rescuewatchdogs.org Association of Pet Dog Trainers - http://APDT.com