Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Nov 2009 16:20:22 -0800
Subject:      Re: BC inspection was Re: The Otter Has
Comments: To: Paul Guzyk <paullist08@GUZYK.COM>

You are mostly correct, I have taken the inspection class but am not certified to do an inspection.  First off - false on the never inspected again part.  The Police / RCMP and now commercial vehicle inspectors have the right to ask anyone to have their vehicle inspected.  There are numerous road blocks here during the holiday season where lots of cars get pulled.  Yes there are a lot of crap vehicles on the road, but anything that is really serious will get pull over here pretty quick.

The issue here is most inspectors, including the people who run the show in Victoria don't know what they are doing.  I had run into this time and time again with vehicle importation with lights and glass issues.  The place the did the inspection for my LT said no way it would pass because of the lights and they would all have to be put to north american spec - this included the guys in victoria, but showing them section 108 of the motor vehicle code, which is the shows clearly all was OK with the exception of the DTRL and side markers - which I had added... you have to know the rules before you play the game.  Choose your shop wisely as they have the ability to make your life miserable with the shop that is attached that wants to make a buck from you... but really I think the system here is pretty good - some flaws, but they exist everywhere!

David Marshall VW Adventure Driver and BMW Adventure Rider http://www.hasenwerk.ca

On Wed, November 4, 2009 09:56, Paul Guzyk wrote: > Jake, I think you are mistaken. All out of province vehicles must have a > BC "safety inspection" prior to being registered by ICBC. vehicles less > than 15 years old also require a very simple (DRL, KM speedo, and baby > anchors) Federal Inspection at Crappy Tire. > > The big problem is MOST BC INSPECTION PLACES ARE REPAIR SHOPS TOO. This > is a big conflict of interest....they want to find problems so they can > offer to fix them....and they know you want to make the car BC legal so > they may take advantage of your situation. (unlike Aircare which is a > test only facility.) > > However, once an out of province car is inspected in BC, it NEVER has to > be inspected again...many cars already on BC roads are in worst condition > than 20 year Vanagons imported into BC from other places. > > If they want to level the field, they should have annual inspections for > all cars...anyway, that's another debate. > > When you take your out of BC Vanagon in for a BC inspection, make it clear > to the shop you want inspection only, you will do any required repairs > elsewhere (yourself, regular mechanic, whatever). They will be less > likely to find 97 things wrong. > > Also, find an inspection shop less picky about the little stuff. > > I know one that is quite Vanagon friendly just outside of Vancouver, pmail > me for shop details if interested. > > -Paul > > > ---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- > From: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM> > Reply-To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM> > Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 08:25:22 -0800 > >>Its not BC that's setting the bar. There is no Provincial Inspection >>requirement to register an out of country vehicle, its a Federal >> Inspection, >>and the individual shop chooses how close to stick to the rules, just >> like >>anything else. >> >>On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 5:51 AM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: >> >>> Well, one thing this reveals is that in B.C. you have safety inspection >>> requirements with some teeth. Here in Oklahoma we aren't even required >>> to >>> have an inspection, period, to register and operate a vehicle. I >>> suppose >>> one could even have a car with no brakes, and register and drive it >>> legally. >>> In fact, lots of vehicles here are involved in accidents due to >>> failure of >>> what one would think would be normal safety features like tires with >>> tread >>> (or lack of tread). No safety inspection, period. >