Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Nov 2009 19:43:17 -0800
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      $6:  Stealth Camping, Big Springs, Texas

Hi, List--

I'm on a 4,000 mile roadtrip from San Diego to the southern tip of Texas (just because it's there) and back (assuming my 85 Vanagon with 176,000 miles makes it).  Running smooth, should be OK.  Actually, since I repaired that leaky vacuum hose hidden underneath the air cleaner, better than smooth; I think about 22 MPG at 65 MPH on my GPS.

The days are getting shorter, the nights colder.  About sunset, pulled into a McDonalds in Big Springs, Texas.  Am writing this from the parking lot.  The advantage of a converted 7 passenger Vanagon (as opposed to a Westy) is that you are almost invisible--I hope.  The bright lights of the McDonalds make a supreme cover for using the computer inside the van; double thick curtains and no pop top help me look just like another normal car.  Hopefully, no one will notice; I imagine I'm not a top security priority with the staff inside; if I were a motorhome, maybe not.

Also, had a nice, hot shower INSIDE my Vanagon, just after I pulled in. I still owe The List pictures and text about that setup; but, it works SO awesome.  Actually took my hot shower at this McDonalds...can you believe that?!!!

I was trying to make it to a Texas State Park here.  As the sun was setting, I gave up.  Instead, this parking lot is my home for the night.  The clean restrooms are a plus, as is the nearby Pizza place...getting tired of McDonalds.

So, here is the story:  safe and secure and clean and well fed at a parking lot at the McDonalds.  (Earplugs will solve any noise problems from the drive-up window or those nasty diesel duely pickup trucks, in abundance in these here parts.) Free WiFi (I have SBCGLOBAL.net) and am within 100 feet of the building.  Power to the computer is via a second battery (relay kit from GoWesty).  A cheap inverter to turn 12 VDC to 120 VAC.  Food was the Pizza joint, $6 for all you an eat salad and pizza.  Entertainment tonight is via the computer...TV shows or something, still figuring that out.  Got to catch up on email and all the Vanagon List happenings.

Aside from dinner, it would basically be free.  That's why we own these vehicles...yes, we can do the "normal" camping routine, and be right at home with a MultiHundred Thousand Dollar Motorhome, or we can "blend in" as I'm doing tonight, or we can find that off trail place where no one goes.  Or, we can stealth camp for free, like tonight.  We can do it ALL.  And, on a low budget.  Like I said, my total expenses for tonight are $6.  If I were to expose any of this truth to anyone other than The List, I'd be deemed nuts, so keep all this in confidence.  Ha ha!

Good night from the good state of Texas...hopefully, this McDonalds won't even have noticed that I parked here or used their restrooms (maybe a free night in the local slammer if all goes bad!!)

Rich 85 7Passenger Converted Camper From San Diego, but soon to be in Brownsville Texas, just for the heck of it