Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Nov 2009 00:39:22 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gen Set
Comments: To: Paul Gordon <paul_gordon@SYMPATICO.CA>

I'll try to be more technical than some of the other responses. There really is not enough room to install a generator designed and rated to installed in such a small recreational vehicle. Also, if going to be used in various parks and forests it also needs to listed and approved for that (no sparks or high temperatures at the exhaust). I think the smallest generator that meets all those specs is the Onan Microlite, (2.8kw). Then to install you also need the proper electrical system to use it. Onan does offer a package that can simply mount on a 2 inch receiver hitch.

Really the best compromise is a small portable. Some of these are really lightweight, quiet, and easy to use. Matched with a good battery and charging system the needed run time can be kept to a minimum. The major concern will be fuel storage and handling and securing the generator for safe travel.

As one of those bad folks that owns an RV I am a bit surprised at responses that we are environmentally destructive or insensitive to others needs for quiet. Maybe we should give up our homes and all move into one room apartments. What is the environmental impact of all these northeastern and Canadian homes burning oil or gas for heat. Most homes I know on Long Island use over 1,000 gallons of oil a year just for heat and hot water.

Let's face it. For 1 or 2 adults and maybe 1 or 2 more kids the Westy is fine. 4 or more adults does not cut it for any length of time. I now often travel with 5 adults and a teenager and I have had as many as 9 for a 10 day trip.

Once you are off grid electricity demands will require some level of planning and expense. You need to evaluate your true demands and then determine if you can meet them with battery and inverter power or if the generator is really needed. I can help with all of that.

Dennis