Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Nov 2009 09:25:24 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shoulder injury dangers, was Re: Gen Set
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

I was recently visited by a buddy who's a former diesel vanagon owner. He sold it two years ago because he wanted to 'reduce his carbon footprint' by not owning a car...even a 40+ mpg VW camper was "too much" impact for Daniel and Helen.. He's headed to the desert southwest for the winter, where they have a second house..very small.. He's been taking the train for this trip now for two years, from New Denver, BC to Borrego, Ca. Very proud of himself for not driving... So while I admire the intent, the reality goes like this: He gets a friend (in an F-250 pickup) to bring him from Canada to near Portland, where we live. We mess around, driving in my vanagon for a few days, then I drive him to the train station and off he goes. Another friend makes a trip from Borrgeo over to San Diego to pick him up at the train station and take him to Borrego. Couple of hundred miles, round trip for the friend(s). The total miles traveled by car by everyone involved in getting Daniel to the train stations so he can 'save the world' by not driving his diesel vanagon easily exceed what he'd have done if he kept the old westie and just used it for the trip south...Plus, I don't know what kind of MPG an Amtrak train gets, but when I put him aboard here in the Gorge, there were only about 15 passengers on that train...Probably it would be less 'carbon' per mile if he maybe drove the Westie, point to point... Just sayin' Great idea, not very realistic implementation of the idea...