Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Nov 2009 09:49:28 -0900
From:         Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>
Subject:      Spillmeister burner grill thingies
Comments: To: jkim.phd@GMAIL.COM

A comment about Frank Condelli grill inserts: I installed a set of those, and they only look as pretty as what's in the picture until you turn on the heat. After that, they kind of look like a tie dye T-shirt, and warp and twist and never stayed flat for me. I loosened them, tightened them, and ultimately ended up removing them and selling on the Samba. I hated those damn things! Anyone who actually likes a level surface to cook on will probably hate em too!

I ultimately ended up getting some stainless steel brake lines, that matches the existing grill pretty well. Stainless steel is pretty stuff to bend properly, so I joined one side of the grill to the other with a solid piece, and then used two shorter pieces with just a touch of JB Weld. I wasn't sure how the epoxy would hold up under heat, but no problems after two years. You can get thin wall or thick wall ss line, the thinner stuff had to be reamed out just slightly to fit around the existing grill with some wiggle room. Cooper is thinner yet.

Prior to the stainless steel, I had the copper and that worked fairly well too, but loosened over time and would slide around. I think that Frank's idea was perhaps a good one, but the stuff is just too flimsy. Perhaps if it was made of heavier gauge material that wouldn't distort so much under the heat?

Don't want to spend the time to take a pic and post a link, but if anyone wants to see a pic let me know.

Troy