Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Nov 2009 14:58:45 -0900
From:         Will Taygan <lists@ALASKABIODIESEL.ORG>
Subject:      Drove my tranny dry - how much transmission life left?

Didn't get any response a few days ago, so this is an updated/extended repost. I've been searching the archives and poring over wikipedia, but am still looking for opinions. :)

1982 1.6NA diesel Westy 4-speed with MT-90 in the tranny.

Key points:

1. swishing sounds from the tranny in neutral when clutch is let up. No sounds when pressed in. I notice a little drag on engine when the sounds occur. Assume throwout bearing good. Assume input shaft bearing going out? - maybe just 3/4 bearings?

2. coasting in 3rd and 4th also has a similar significant swishing sound. Noticeable but not overpowering. Sound goes away (or at least lessens below engine noise) when accelerating/driving. Assume more bad bearings on 3rd/4th???

3. coasting in 1st and 2nd, no sounds loud enough to hear over the diesel. This is why I'm guessing it's 3/4 bearings.

4. shifts up okay, shifting down requires double clutching. BUT it shifts up AND down when warmed up - still shifts slow, but hey! Assume synchronizers bad, but 3/4 slider is still good??

5. No high-pitched whine, so R&P (that's part of the differential, right?) is maybe okay?

6. I'm still trying to figure out how all that stuff inside the tranny works :)

7. Body is pretty beat up. I'd rather drive it till it dies, then fix but don't want to be totally stranded. If the problem is 3/4, could I still get home in 2nd?

Thanks!

Will in Alaska.