Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Nov 2009 19:21:51 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: How I filled 1.9 with coolant,
              was; Roadside BREAKDOWN...Water Pump Belt
Comments: To: Zoltan <thewestyman@GMAIL.COM>

Zoltan,

While on the subject of topping off coolant - for a 2.1L - you can fill the coolant system, crack the valve on the radiator, then drive down the road until the low coolant warning light comes on. Stop, fill the tank, then drive some more. After two or three stops like that, all the air is out, and you can close the valve, top the tank, and you are good to go. I found this method quite by accident, but it works - for the 2.1L WBX.

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

Zoltan wrote: > Instead of raising the front or the rear. > I have filled it with an extra hose from a higher point. Attached the > hose > to one of the hoses, the top one, of the H pipe, that goes to that > pipe that > is running across the engine down to the right. Those are actually > for the > heaters. So, I turned that hose upward, installed a two feet long extra > hose into it, a funnel into the top of that. Secured it with a wire to > the > shelf (it was a camper) > Now, I plugged the pipe I took the hose off from with a rubber plug > you can > get at a hardware store, or use a cork. > And then I opened the bleeding bolt in the front on the radiator. > Now, I started to fill the system on the top into the funnel. > Pressure tank > cap is on closed. > Kept on releasing the air by pulling the plug out from the pipe a little. > Lots of air. > Filled it until the rad. started leaking, then tightened that bolt on it. > Kept on filling into the funnel and releasing air at the pipe until there > was no more air at the pipe. Takes long, have patience. > (remember, your extra hose is higher than the raditator. that extra > hose is > filling both the heaters and the engine) > Now be ready to clamp the hose, pull the plug and reattach the hose to > the > pipe. (hose clamp is waiting on the pipe) > So, quit filling if it's not going down well anymore and there is no more > air coming out of the pipe when you releasing the plug. > > Once you reattached the hose to the pipe, you still have a little air > in the > system but very little and that will be eliminated with one or two > warm up > cycles. For that, fill the overflow tank to the rim. If all goes > well, the > level will be lower when the system gets cold. > > So, that's it. I actually use the same method to fill the 2.1 engine > also. > Very little loss of coolant in the process and I use a large tray > under the > car for this. You can get a hose from anywhere you like, no pressure > in it, > only need to have it attached in a way that won't leak. > So, any fear of having air pockets and such would be eliminated this way, > knowing that you are filling from a higher spot than any there is on the > car. Air comes out at the hose you fill, at the pipe you releasing it > at, > and at the radiator bolt that's open until it's filled. > > Have fun being your own mechanic. > Zoltan > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Richard Koerner" <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Friday, November 06, 2009 12:39 PM > Subject: Roadside BREAKDOWN...Water Pump Belt > > > Volks, > > Was merrily cruisin along on my way to Corpus Christi from Austin. Am > about > 50 miles north of Corpus Christi. Red blinking temp light, alternator > light > on, temp needle rising fast. (I'm ALWAYS scanning gauges and lights, > couldn't have been overheating for more than a minute or two I think.) > Immediately pulled over and shut down. Dripping coolant from rear. Opened > hatch; coolant tank almost empty, gurgling, overflow tank still had about > normal. Broken belt to the water pump. > > Luckily, I had all 3 brand new belts. Figured out which was which by > process > of elimination. Couldn't figure out how to get the AC belt off; don't use > it, so cut it off with a knife. Loosened power steering pump and > alternator, > removed all belts. Replaced the power steering and alternator/water pump > belt, tightened up the bracket with reasonable tension on belt, not too > much. > > Filled empty coolant tank with water. Started engine. Immediately it > sucked > out all the water I added. So I added more. Stabilized. Shut off engine. > Added water to overflow tank. Re-started engine, revved it over 2000, > sucked > more coolant into engine, then when idle returns to 850, coolant rises to > top. Put all caps back on tanks. Said a prayer of thanks. > > All seems normal now. Did I do any permanent damage? Idles fine, runs > fine, > temp needle right on the LED as per normal. Drove at 55 on the freeway to > this McDonalds for WiFi. It's about 2:30 Texas time, Friday afternoon. > > About all I think I need to do is try to bleed the radiator, if I can > find a > place to raise the front end. Anything else I should do? System was > bled and > coolant replaced about a year ago; I do it like clockwork every 2 years. > > Rich > 85 GL with a 1.9, 178,000 miles, off the road in Texas, simmering down > >