Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Nov 2009 02:00:41 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Roadside BREAKDOWN...Water Pump Belt-Realities!
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

The fact that the engine operated without coolant flow to the point that you puked coolant out means that the engine and cooling system has suffered a trauma. Even if there is no apparent immediate damage the engine suffered a lot of stress. Future issues will include head gaskets, loose studs, (internal combustion gasses into cooling system), cracked heads, and possible piston/ring damage. The heater cores and radiator also took a beating.

Replace the pressure cap and monitor the thermostat operation. Carefully inspect the coolant hoses and check clamps. Change the oil and filter. Get the proper concentration of coolant I there.

No need to raise the front to bleed the cooling system and in fact it makes it harder. Cooling system bleeding should be done on a cold engine. If the cooling system is bleed enough to cool at all it will self bleed over time as long as the pressure cap is working properly and the 2nd tank always has some coolant in it.

A trick to bleeding is when revving the engine and the coolant gets sucked down, top that tank and replace the cap before letting the engine return to idle. You should be able to bleed the coolant in less than 5 minutes. If your still trying after the engine gets warm it will become more difficult as the coolant turns to vapor.

Dennis