Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Oct 2009 23:01:52 -0700
From:         Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Winter Survival Kit Question
Comments: To: Mike S <mikes@flatsurface.com>

Extra heat? That is the wood burning in addition to the wax. All wood has the same energy? Oh wow, think of all the time I spent messing with the oak rather than the aspen... See that was my problem, I thought I was getting more heat from the oak than I did from the softwoods all those years. I thought the hardwood burning along with the wax did the trick for the extra heat. The only person I know (from a list) who has used one said it worked great in the car that had run off the road in a snow storm. It is one of those emergency things you keep in back, with any luck you will never have to find out if it gives enough heat to keep you alive thru the night. <Shrug> Next time you're messing with a presto log give it a try and let us know if it works.

Rob becida@comcast.net

At 10/30/2009 08:25 PM,Mike S wrote: >At 10:19 PM 10/30/2009, Rob wrote... >>At 10/30/2009 06:32 PM, Mike S wrote: >>>Sounds much like one of those artificial fire logs. You could >>>probably just get one of those, and cut off what's needed, as needed. >> >>This is a candle gives off 'extra' heat not a presto log. > >Where does this "extra" heat come from? A special high-calorie wax? >Dry wood is around 6K BTU/lb., whether hardwood or softwood. > >Cutting off a few inches of a artificial log, and stuffing it around >a wick in a can (the logs use a soft wax, and crumble easily), seems >much easier than mixing melted paraffin wax and woodchips. It also >allows one to replenish the candle when needed (a log and some wick >are all that's needed). Probably cheaper than paraffin, too.