Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:27:17 -0800
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: queston on H4 55/60w bulb to fit stock bulb socket
Comments: To: Mark Tuovinen <aksyncronaut@GMAIL.COM>

Mark, et al.,

Let me clarify what David really wanted to know. In an attempt to demonstrate the difference between the light pattern of the e-code headlights vs. the US-spec rectagular lowbeams, I put a set of e-codes in his hands and told him to see if he likes them better than the present lights he has in his 90 GL.

He had hoped he could just plug the bulbs in the stock US set-up for testing purposes. He thought this because I told him at one point that it might be a possibility. It was very late at night and I was tired when I told him that. Plus it had been nearly a decade since I installed e-codes in my Vanagon and simply could not recall.

Since David had not gotten the exact answer he was after, I pulled a bulb out of a DOT headlight and hopefully clarified the difference to him somewhat. The H4 bulbs engage the housing with 3 tabs sort of like a modified 'Y'. Each tab is sized so it can only fit the housing one way - rightside up. The DOT bulb OTOH is like an 'O' with notches cut in a similar Y-layout. No way for the two to interchange without surgery.

With that in mind, the H4's in question are for sale for $275. Used and lenses only.

Regards,

BenT Sent from my mobile device